Wedding Dress Shopping

After coming down from the high of getting engaged, the first thing I started to do was look at wedding dresses! I bought loads of wedding magazines and looked on the internet and started to get an idea of what kind of dress I wanted.

One thing I knew right off the bat was that I didn't want a huge, puffy, wedding cake dress. I prefer a slim silhouette, something more fitted, and strapless, cut straight across the top rather than a sweetheart neckline. I also wanted to have some kind of beading or crystals to make it look like a real wedding dress and not just a white evening gown, but not too much, just a little big of bling.

One thing became apparent to me straight away. If I wanted to wear a dress with a slim silhouette, I was going to have to lose some weight! So I started an exercise regime and changed my diet to eat healthier food (see my blog post on Wedding Weight Loss). After several months of this, I felt slim enough to try on some dresses!

The first place I went to was Pronovias. They have a fantastic flag ship store in London where you are given your own consultant and glasses of champagne - lovely! They had some amazing dresses, but nothing that quite fit the bill. The dress I liked the most was the one below shown on a model, it had some great embroidery work on it and I liked the interesting neckline, but it had a large poofy skirt and was REALLY heavy, I could barely move in it, so I decided against it.



I then went to the Vera Wang sample sale at Selfridges. I found a dress that was almost perfect, and at half the regular price! That's me trying it on in the picture below. However, being a sample, it wasn't in the best condition. Some of the beading was coming off and it would need a lot of altering. The bust was too big and the length too long. There was some intricate beading from about half way down the skirt to the hem which would make taking the dress up really difficult. And even though it was half the price, it was still quite a lot to pay. I could get a brand new dress from a decent designer, made to fit me perfectly, for less. It was a really hard decision to make, a Vera Wang dress for a reasonable-ish price doesn't come along every day, but in the end I decided to be sensible and didn't buy it.


Having got a taste for Vera Wang, I made an appointment to look at their new season collection. It was a fantastic experience, the dresses were AMAZING. But again, not quite what I was looking for, and at £5,000 for the cheapest one, way out of my budget.

I came across a picture of a Stephanie Allin dress which I quite liked, and found a stockist about 10mins away from me, Fleur Bridal. I went over and found Fleur to be an absolute gem. The dress I'd originally liked didn't turn out to be so nice in real life, but Fleur was an expert in choosing dresses that would suit me. She is a truly lovely lady and I enjoyed shopping with her a lot. I ended up really liking another dress, and went back several times to try it on. It was Stephanie Allin's Gina dress, pictured below (that's not me in it obviously haha!).

It was a beautiful dress and was quite flattering on me, but I wasn't 100% sold on it (about 89%). I wasn't so keen on the sweetheart neckline, and there was no beading or crystal work on it, plus I'm not a big bow person.

I tried on this dress by Essense at another store which my friends quite liked, but I wasn't so sure. The colour wasn't right, and again it had the sweetheart neckline.


I kept looking through magazines and on the internet, and made appointments at several other bridal stores, saw some other dresses which were okay, but none of them made me feel like "Wow, this is the ONE!". Then one day, out of desperation, I took a look at the website of a designer called Martina Liana (ironically, an Australian label). It was a new label and was the luxe collection for Essense. They had been advertising in some of the bridal magazines, and I thought the dress in their ads was interesting, but not what I was looking for. But as I said, I was getting desperate, so I thought what the heck, I'll just take a look at the website.

The website loaded, and the homepage started to flash images from their collection. About the 3rd image in, I finally had that moment - "Oh my GOD, that is the ONE!!!" I was so excited I almost had a fit. I checked out the dress in more detail on the website (it was dress design 214) and got even more excited. Checking the stockists, I found one in London not far from where I work, Collezione Sposa. I called them the next day and made an appointment. 

Collezione Sposa was another great place to shop. Miriam and Kate are just fantastic. And they did have dress 214 for me to try on. As soon as I put on the dress, I knew my instincts had been right, this was the one! I walked out of the change room, and my friend said straight away, "Stop looking, that's the dress!" I couldn't wipe the grin off my face while I was wearing it! I loved the fit of it, the 40s movie star glamour, the beautiful Swarovski crystal beading on the waistband and train, the colour and texture of the candelight silk, the stunning corset back, it was just perfect! Here's a picture of me the first time I tried it on (it's a size too big, but you get the idea).

Needless to say, I bought the dress in silk candlelight, and amazingly, the day I bought it, they had just dropped the price by almost 50%!!! They were making way for the new season collection. See, I knew this dress was THE ONE!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Charmayne is a professional I.T. Analyst and Cake Maker. She is engaged to a fellow I.T. professional and their wedding date is 13 March 2010. In this blog she outlines the trials and tribulations of planning "The Best Day Of Your Life".