Wedding Cake Decorations

I have my own cake making business, Delicious Cake Design, but I decided against making my own wedding cake. I probably would have done it if we were having the wedding in London, but as we are going to Hawaii, it will be pretty much next to impossible for me to do. I won't have access to a proper kitchen, I won't have my cake making and decorating equipment, and most importantly, I could do without the stress of having to finish decorating a wedding cake the morning of my own wedding!

Nick, bless him, also flat out banned me from making the cake, purely because he knows what I'm like when I'm stressed - cranky, snappy, miserable. Putting up with that for several days before the wedding might make him change his mind about marrying me!

However I did decide to make the sugar flowers for the cake, as that's something I can do months in advance and just bring with me to Hawaii (packaged very carefully and carried on the plane as hand luggage). That ended up being really stressful anyway, and I was still hand colouring leaves the night before we flew out of London for our wedding!

I give more details on my Delicious Cake Design blog http://www.deliciouscakedesign.com/blog/?p=312 so I won't go into them here.

I wanted a design for my cake with loads of beautiful flowers, frangipanis of course as that was the theme for our wedding. But also ivory roses, I love ivory roses and my bouquet is predominantly made up of them. I think they are so classic for a wedding and are so beautiful. I experimented with adding lilies and orchids to the sugar bouquets for the cake, but never quite got the mix right. So I stuck with sugar roses, rose leaves, and frangipanis. Here are some shots of the finished product on a dummy polystyrene cake (hopefully this is how they will be arranged on the real cake):






My good friend Yolande makes the cutest cake toppers as a hobby, and she made one for our cake so I didn't make any flowers for the cake top. She has our little figures wearing our exact wedding clothes, even the hairstyles and flowers are accurate! She is amazing. Here is her handiwork:

Can't wait to see how the cake looks on the day with the sugar flowers I made and Yolande's adorable cake toppers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Charmayne is a professional I.T. Analyst and Cake Maker. She is engaged to a fellow I.T. professional and their wedding date is 13 March 2010. In this blog she outlines the trials and tribulations of planning "The Best Day Of Your Life".